Thursday, October 29, 2009

Customer needs assistance at check out 3...

While waiting in line at the Ikea self checkout aisle, I couldn't help feel my life ticking away at an alarming pace. All I wanted to do was to buy some curtains for my mother (called "Wilmas") and a lint roller, but I had to wait in line for 20 minutes. The reason for the delay was because a little old couple were standing at the kiosk with no idea what was happening. They tried talking to it. They tried scanning their items with the key pad. At one point I'm pretty sure I saw them show old family photos to the screen and tell a few anecdotes. An associate finally came over and helped the couple how to use the machine and got the line moving again. But looking around I noticed that every line had at least 4 patrons that were going to have a problem with the self check out option. It made me feel a little sad that all this new technology (simple as it may seem to some of us) has been sprung upon those that are just used to doing it the old fashioned way. But it's like they say, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. If you can't use those self check out things, DON'T USE THEM. Or take a class or something. The point of the self check out line is supposed to speed up your buying experience, not to enjoy the scenery of the front of the store. Now, I have to say that I partly blame Ikea in this instance because the only check out lanes that were open were self check out. But Grandma and Grandpa, you know I love you but if you can't program your VCR, you may want to stick to having the cashiers ring up your candles, decorative trinkets and Metamucil.
This has been another installment of "You Betta Check Yo-self, Before You B-b-b-break Yo-self". Josh Price

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving Pictures